Saturday, March 02, 2013

Mantelpiece love - Cheap decorating

Hey all,
Hope you are all well and staying dry in whatever part of the world you're in.
I seriously think I need to start building an Ark...this rain is just relentless!!

First of all...I'd like to announce the winner of the lucky lady that left a comment on my Scrap FX Blog Hop post...it is....

LAUREN!!

 So Lauren...if you could please email me at tisher_6@hotmail.com(no au) I will pop your prize in the mail ASAP.

I haven't drawn the lucky winner of my February competition I had running yet but that will be in my next post...so stay tuned.

Today I just want to share another happy spot I have in our house that I just love looking at...that cost me next to nothing to dress up.
It's our mantelpiece above the fireplace.


It's one of the focal points in our lounge room so I wanted to dress it up a bit...on a budget.
If you recall my last post...I upcycled the gorgeous old vintage clock which takes pride of place on the top shelf of the mantelpiece along with a wooden FAMILY sign and my collection of T's (the initial of our surname).

The bottom shelf however posed a little bit more of a problem as everytime I put something there my husband would deem it a fire hazard. I really wanted something pretty and something to fit into the FAMILY theme I have going on there when I came across the black frames you see. 
They were a set of 6 and the patterned paper you see in them was already there. So...instead of putting photos in them I simply put black vinyl Thickers in them to spell out the word FAMILY. 
Too easy! 
The set of frames cost me $5- from a discount store and I already had the letters at home but they cost around $5-6 dollars a packet so not a budget breaker.

I'm also a hopeless collector of vintage doilies and have an absolute barrel full. I'm always looking out for things to make with them so made this cute doily and burlap Shabby Chic banner to hang on the mantelpiece.

I love how this all looks now that I've hung the Home Sweet Home frame above it all:

The white really brightens up the dark wall beautifully.

So...here's another budget 'brighten up a corner in your house' idea for you.
Sew up some cute banners, upcycle something vintage and hunt around for some sweet little frames to play with.
It really doesn't have to cost a fortune to make your house a home.

Until next time,
Sharryn
xx

2 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

Really nice - they all look so nice grouped together like that, too....you've got lovely taste:):))

Sandra said...

I have included you in my list for the Leibster Award, you can see details on my blog at http:kiandra-kreations.blogspot.com.au

I really love what you're creating OTP.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...